With Great American, choosing the right path is easy. Great American understands the complexities of the transportation market and their effect on machinery and equipment valuation. The transportation industry accounts for a significant $562 billion in economic activity. Given its size and breadth, the industry is affected by a number of factors, from fuel prices to emissions regulations to personal driver preferences.
Generally, the industry relates to the transportation of goods or people. It can be broadly divided into three categories:
- Over the Road (OTR) trucking, including: Class-8 power units, van, tank, and
refrigerator trailers, flatbeds and container chassis, dry vans, tankers and refrigerated trailers.
- Rail Freight and Intermodal, including: diesel locomotives, tank cars, hopper cars, center-beam cars, refrigerator cars, box cars, container well cars, automotive rail cars and flatbed cars.
- Buses and Recreational Vehicles, including: school and city buses, motor coaches, and RVs.
Transportation inventory can include:
- Gas or diesel engines
- Electrical components
- Cooling and heating units
- Axles and wheels
- Aluminum sheet, extrusions and cast parts
- Carbon steel, galvanized, stainless and cast iron parts
- Fiberglass, mirrored and tempered glass
- Kitchen, bath, and bedroom components used in RVs
Great American has the knowledge needed to realize the full value of your transportation assets in all categories. With trucking, we consider and evaluate the orders for new Class 8 tractors and trailers, the market demand for used tractors and trailers, and how age, mileage and condition affect values. We examine the latest fuel regulations and compare actual mileage against maintenance records. For rail and intermodal transport, we check the number of idle units off lease as well as inspections performed by a qualified railway appraiser. With buses and RVs, we go beyond mileage and worn parts to include owned vs. leased tires, uncover any surprises in the maintenance records, and go the extra mile to help you maximize your assets.